[Dixielandjazz] More Turk on Sesame Street

M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 13 05:57:51 PDT 2011

Back in 97 or so, I had the privilege of receiving on tape from Jim Maihack, the tuba on the Sesame Street tracks, said Sesame Street tracks.  He made the tape directly from the reel-to-reel that he'd (& the rest as well) received as "payment" for the project, as the work itself had been gratis, for the kiddies.  In discussion with him about this and other such gigs, he said something to the effect that Turk would sometimes turn down a perfectly reliable gig but accept the off-the-wall one (eg, Silverstein's "Streakers Ball"), in this case a happy one we don't mind remembering that no one on earth can truly hate "children's television".

By the way, I haven't compared the Youtube version with what's on San Francisco Traditional Jazz Foundation's CD-107, but I do know that the tape provided to the participants says "Monkey Wards" rather than "discount store" at the end.  So, there's obviously at least two (2) "takes" of this one out there!