[Dixielandjazz] showmanship

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Sep 11 18:14:20 PDT 2011

Jack Mitchell wrote [in part]:
> When with Graeme Bell's All Stars trombonist Ken Herron would extend the slide out to its full length and suddenly swivel in a complete circle, making the trumpeter and clarinettist duck for safety.

Dear Jack,
What a great band that was.
It certainly alerted us to the fact that good jazz and showmanship are mutually inclusive.
I well recall one occasion when the trombonist Ken Herron and Bob Barnard were in that band.
Listening, but not watching, I heard Bob soloing but heard that the phrasing was completely unBob-like.
I looked up to see Bob and Ken with their arms around each other's shoulders, mate fashion, with Ken fingering the valves on Bob's trumpet and Bob doing the blowing!
Fantastic.
They saw them repeat the act several times and it never ceased to amaze me.
I suspect that many in the audience didn't even notice it.
Very kind regards,
Bill.