[Dixielandjazz] Music & Showmanship

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Sun Sep 11 11:13:40 PDT 2011

It's time to clarify what I wrote a few posts back.

First: I was lucky enough to be in studio when
Louis Armstrong recorded. I clearly remember
one or two dates. Often, the engineers (who love
to meddle with recordings) and the producers
could not decide which take to use. Each take
was unique, plus excellent, although similar.
They hard a hard time deciding which one to use.
On "Kiss To Build A Dream On" Billy Kyle played
a downward run that was so long, he almost fell
off the piano bench.

My observation: Louis Armstrong did NOT play songs
note for note but stayed close to the melody most of
the time.

Second: My comment (really Billy Taylor's comment)
about what if....
was a reference to innovation. Louis Armstrong changed
music and influenced jazz forever. With the birth of the
"All Stars" he continued playing music, call it what you
want, but did he continue innovating?

I love the Satchmo Sings album and the Satch and
Gordon Jenkins album (strings and mostly vocal)
as well as the Hot 5 etal.

Taste is personal. Categories are some times ridiculous.
Louis was Louis and he did what he did best.

As for Kenny G - I walked out on Sidney Bechet because
the sound of soprano sax offended my ear drums.

I was offended by Kenny G playing "What A Wonderful
World" as a duet with a recording of Satchmo.
A bad mix in my opinion. (My daughter likes Kenny G.)
That's her business.
==========
Just a light note. I remember when Downbeat magazine
had a headline that read
"NAT KING COLE A TRAITOR TO JAZZ".
All because he recorded "Mona Lisa" and became a
national favorite as a singer.

Oh well!

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com