[Dixielandjazz] Showmanship

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 11 06:20:53 PDT 2011

On Sep 11, 2011, at 4:33 AM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com>
>
>> barbone wrote:
>> IMO, the music was never enough, and never will be. Except for a
>> few artsy
>> fartsy elitists and they don't pay the bills.
>
> Wasn't it just what I said?  Which does not mean I must LIKE it (I
> still don't).  But things I understand at 70 were not things I could
> understand at 18!

No, that's not what you said at all. You said you didn't listen to
Trummy Young because he was too involved with showmanship.

Then you avoid discussing why, on the other hand, you enjoyed
listening to Louis Armstrong even though he was twice the showman
Young was.

You might be better off sitting in a room by yourself and listening to
records if you are going to be so inconsistently judgmental about what
you see in live performance.

Or perhaps at 70, you now realize that musicians do not perform
specifically for YOU, or any other individual, Therefore YOUR negative
opinion about them is inconsequential and of absolutely no value.

Here is a repeat of the sign above West Chester PA, USA,  artist Tom
Bostelle's studio door, which IMO is what most, if not all, all secure
jazz musicians (substitute "listen" for "look around") will tell you:

All ye who enter
You are welcome to look around
But please spare me comments about my work
I  need neither your plaudits nor criticism
For I know what I am doing
And I am not doing it specifically for you.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband