[Dixielandjazz] "Wildcat blues"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 9 14:31:32 PDT 2011

dwlit at cpcug.org asked regarding "Wildcat Blues"
> What is considered to the "definitive" record?

Dear Sheik,
As all the versions I have ever heard (including the one played by our clarinet player Jack Wiard) are based on the Sidney Bechet original with Clarence Williams Blue Five recorded for Okeh on 30 July 1923, there really is no doubt.
Bechet's original is the definitive version.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1BB9QLK-Bk
Tom Lord's discography lists 120 of them, starting with the first 'cover' rendition made by Bob Wilder for Commodore in February 1947.
Very kind regards,
Bill.