[Dixielandjazz] Sugar

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 16:26:35 PDT 2011

Hi Bill,

I've never heard of Cat's a Bear whoever they are, but the tune by Stanley
Turrentine can be altered to suit various jazz styles and works well for a
mainstream band. Turrentine's own version is a bit limp to my ears,
overplaying a "soul" connection, but as recorded by Tommy Whittle (a fine
Scottish tenor player resident in London for decades) it's a free-wheeling,
punchy piece which isn't too far out to upset most fans of early jazz.

I'm usually a fan of Mercer's songs, but found "My Sugar is so Refined" a
bit too saccharin for my tastes. On balance I prefer Bessie Smith's raunchy
"I Need a Little Sugar in my Bowl"

Regards,

Ken Mathieson