[Dixielandjazz] NIGGLE KENNEDY

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 1 19:22:40 PDT 2011

Master Kennedy has never been my favourite fiddler

I did once review his CD with Joe Lovano and other lions of a current generation
on BlueNote

I seem to remember I had a few reservations, but nothing anywhere near
disqualifying him from being regarded as a serious jazz violinist -- though on
that recording certainly of a sort of only minoristy interest among present
company.

I can't see anything that would get in the way of his making music within the
range this page's participants refer to as OKOM.  If he can hear the music as
the music it is, not-misassigning it to some supposed historical period

As I recall from Stuff Smith's reminiscences, his hero Jascha Heifetz liked to
sit in with the band, not least on piano. But then Yank Lawson did say to Ken
Gallacher that when working for the NBC Symphony musicians were astonished to
find Heifetz knew even better and quicker short cut to the bat than anybody.

Even though the occasional booze story of Kennedy is less decorous, good luck to
him!

Robert