[Dixielandjazz] Cliff Bruner "Sugar"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 1 03:22:01 PDT 2011

Joe Carbery wrote:
> Can anyone supply a lead sheet or chord chart for "Sugar" as recorded by Cliff Bruner and His Texas Wanderers?
> It's not the Pinkard/Pinkard/Mitchell one nor is it the one by Yellen/Agar/Crum/Nichols.

Dear Joe,
You certainly led me on a merry chase with that one.
The three versions of the song, "Sugar', and the composers, have confused musicians for years.
And still do.

I926. Sugar (That Sugar Baby Is Mine).
Pinkard-Mitchell-Alexander
Recorded: Ethel Waters.

1927. Sugar. (Don't You know Who She Is)
Jack Yellen-MiltonAger
Recorded: Frank Trumbauer. Red Nichols

1931. Sugar. (That's What I'll Name you).
George W Meyer-Joe Young
Recorded: Fletcher Henderson

So I started by identifying the Cliff Bruner version on Decca 5560, recorded on 8 December 1937.
The one where Red Raley sings:
"Sugar. That's what I named you.
Sugar. And I'll come and claim you.
Sugar. Don't change your mind,
You're not that kind,
For you're too refined...."
For which the composer credit given by Decca (according to my files) was Maceo Pinkard-Sidney Mitchell- Edna Alexander.
But, wait a minute.
Didn't they write "Sugar (That Sugar Baby Is Mine")?
I then played all the above versions and discovered that you are looking for the Meyer-Young composition.
I have chords for all three, but no lead sheets.
Sorry.
Then there is "My Sugar is So refined" by Sylvia Dee and Sitney Lippman.
But I digress.
*>)
My head hurts.
Kind regards,