[Dixielandjazz] Roots of Dixieland Jazz and Haarlem Dixieland Band

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:21:10 PDT 2011

There is a Polish (and Russian) saying "Old age is no joy."  How true!
Only yesterday, in reply to Bill Heasler, I wrote "I remember
Brunis introducing a song as having been written by him and his
brothers..." on "Roots of Dixieland Jazz."  Nothing of the sort - must
have been a different record (we listened nearly four hours that
evening).
The numbers on "Roots" are:
That's a Plenty
Ballin' the Jack
Whenever There's Love
Royal Garden Blues
Indiana
Deep Royal Blues
Billboard Dixieland (very similar to "Angry," so here's my excuse)
Cheery,
Jada
It's Been so Long.
The collective personnel given is: Pee Wee Russell, Billy Butterfield,
Bobby Hackett, Buck Clayton, Max Kaminsky, Jess Stacy, Bobby (sic.)
Haggart, George Wettling and Jo Jones (grouping by instrument is
mine).
However, one can hear trombone (probably more than one trombonist; one
I believe to be George Brunis), tenor saxophone (Bud Freeman/?/ and
another), a bas sax, a baritone sax, etc.  According to the label, it
was all recorded in 1944, but how can one trust it when the liner
notes speak of "the trmendous acclaim accorded to Buck Clayton, Eddie
Condon, Pee Wee Russell and OTHER NEW ORLEANS pioneers" (emphasis
added)?  Needless to say, the music is great!

The other record in question is a discographical nightmare!  Haarlem
Dixieland Band (Regal SREG 2039), produced in Britain, contains
thirteen tracks, eleven of which are attributed to Jean Bordeaux.
However, some are titled erronoeusly:  Thus, ""Wastin'" is "St. James
Infirmary," "In This Old Street" is "Closer Walk with Thee," "Just
Look" is "Oh Susanna." "Big Delight" is Mozart's "Turkish March," "Up
and Rising" is "Are you Sleeping Brother John" (even though somebody
scribbled "3 Blinde Mice" on the sleeve); aall these are listed as by
Jean Bordeaux.  The other numbers listed are: "Near the Blues,"
"Comin' through the Chords" (sounds a lot like a familiar melody,
although I cannot recall which at this time), "Nobody's Girl" (ditto),
"When I Grow too Old to Dream," "Sunday," "Fishin' for Marlin," "Deep
Red Is the Colour of My Love" and "Swing Ding."  A very good record,
with the exception of "Turkish March;"  "Frère Jacques" (Broter John)
caused raised brows, but that changed as the tune developed.
Help!
Cheers