[Dixielandjazz] Donna Lee

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Sun Oct 30 03:37:38 PDT 2011

For those that turn their heads when they hear names like Charlie Parker
and his contemporaries, you can follow along with Donna Lee if you think
of Back Home In Indiana in Ab. Not precisely the same chords, but close
enough that you could even sit in.

Thanks Eric, I haven't seen this clip in a while. I think Clark Terry is
great. And, to call the rest a 'supporting cast' seems strange. Wow,
what a lineup!!

To parallel this post with the recent posts on the MJTP, I present
another version of Donna Lee played by Dave Bargeron fronting the Jaco
Pastorius Big Band in Tokyo in 1982. Remember, think of Indiana. I'm
guessing not everyone will like this and even fewer will enjoy the
polyphonic introduction, but here it is anyway. I love it, but then
again, I had a tuba fall on my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADrN-y8peKM

All the best, Gary

On 30/10/2011 10:12, Eric Holroyd wrote:
> Here's a great rendition done in 1977 of Charlie Parker's 'Donna Lee' with:
>
> Clark Terry
> Ronnie Scott
> Oscar Peterson
> Nils Orsted Pederson
> Bobby Durham
>
> The tempo is 'el furioso' yet the head is executed perfectly.
>
> And the solos are excellent.
>
> As is the camera work - which all too often consists of views of the tapping toes of the musicians.
>
> Kudos to all involved.
>
> Here’s the YouTube Link
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuXIMQGqXGk&feature=related
>
> Eric Holroyd