[Dixielandjazz] Where are the young people?

Bruce Stangeland stangeland at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 28 23:10:50 PDT 2011

Bill,

In 2009 my wife and I saw a "Peruvian" band performing with pan pipes
near the Oslo City Hall. They looked like a family operation, with
children and grandparents performing and selling merchandise.

My wife asked them where they were from. Mexico.

But the music was good.

Cheers,
Bruce Stangeland
Berkeley banjoist
young people? Message-ID:
<8C5CBDFC-DB82-475F-A314-7B51702F31BE at bigpond.net.au> Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=us-ascii Dixiejazzdata wrote [in part] regarding the
Peruvian bands:
> And like a former poster said they did indeed expand it all around Europe, showing
> that it is definitely possible to export culture......
Dear Bart,
The Peruvian musicians and families also found Sydney, Australia some ten or so years back and come here to entertain annually during our summer season.
I noticed the first band for 2011 here at Circular Quay, near our Sunday pub gig, a few weeks ago.
However, they have yet to pop in for a sit-in.
8>)
There has been a small and growing community of expats from Peru in Australia since the 1960s.
Kind regards,
Bill.