[Dixielandjazz] Concerning guitar for OKOM

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Fri Oct 28 07:58:01 PDT 2011

To continue the discaussion on guitar in the band. Here's an example of
how one should, IMO, comp to OKOM on the guitar, and what kind of hat
one should wear when you do it.. I'm playing a 12 bar blues with what
are called "three note shell chords" . These are inversionless chords
which are unobtusive and yet boldly state the harmony for the other
players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WyKDufAxjY

The old guys from the 17th century knew best when they included at lot
of continuo players in their ensembles. Try playing a solo with drums,
piano, tuba, guitar (like the video) and banjo.
Here’s the sound you get from gut bucket bass, guitar and banjo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYhmSZtj-us&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmFk9KDTLw0

Now if the ain’t street, nothing is.

The band has long since evolved. We often have drums, tuba, trombone,
sax and banjo-and some nice vocal harmony. The gut bucket, alas, has
been retired.

Kent