[Dixielandjazz] All The Girls Go Crazy...

tyleman tyleman at isp.com
Tue Oct 25 04:10:55 PDT 2011

Ory copywrited the tune with ASCAP, but it doesn't mean he wrote it.
IMO determining that may well be impossible or require a huge amount
of research, as I believe the tune was likely "lifted" from another
composition - quite possibly a waltz (I can hear it being played that
way).

Most of the tunes associated with the early days of jazz (or whatever
you wish to call it) in New Orleans, are folk melodies. Case in point:
the melody for "Buddy Bolden's Blues" (or "I Thought I Heard Buddy
Bolden Say"), shows up in the St. Louis Tickle and at least one other
earlier composition. "I'm Alabamy Bound," again, like, "Buddy Bolden,"
claimed to have been written by Jelly Roll Morton, appears in a piece
by New Orleans composer Robert Hoffman, copywrited and published many
years before Morton recorded the piece for the Library of Congress.

Jelly acknowledged lifting parts of "King Porter Stomp" from a piece
played by pianist Porter King. He also acknowledged the beginning of
"Tiger Rag" came from a quadrille.

Ory copywrited the tune as "All The Girls Go Crazy About the Way I
Walk," and the ASCAP page shows the variations on the title:
http://ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300

Regards,
Chris

--