[Dixielandjazz] Isham Jones and "Spain"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 26 15:07:03 PDT 2011

Dear Ken, Randy and Rick.
The Bob Crosby 6 February 1940 rendition of Spain was released by Decca in Australia in 1943-44.
We all grew up on it and Australian jazz bands have played the tune, as a 'standard', ever since.
The clarinet player is, as Rick assumed, the great Irving Fazola.
Playing it now for old-times sake.
Beautiful - Faz, Stacy, Miller, Butterfield, Smith, Lamare, Haggart and Bauduc.
Randy's story regarding the piano is included in ex-DJMLer, the late Warren Vaché Snr's excellent 2000 book 'The Unsung Songwriters' (page 228).
The frugal Isham Jones used to admire a grand piano on his way home from work at the College Inn, but could never bring himself to buy it.
On his 30th birthday (1924) his wife bought it for him and he spent the night of its delivery writing three songs that he hoped would offset the cost of the piano and make the purchase worthwhile.
The songs were "Spain", "The One I Love Belongs To Someone Else" and "It Had To Be You".
Very kind regards,
Bill.