[Dixielandjazz] Isham Jones "Spain"

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Wed Oct 26 12:49:11 PDT 2011

In reply to Ken Gates, our band has played Spain for years, of course we played the Isham Jones "Spain."  not Chick Corea's  "Spain."  The story about Spain is said to be that Isham Jones didn't have access to a piano and when he got one he stayed up all night and composed "Spain," "It Had To Be You" and one other tune, either "I'll See You in My Dreams" or The One I Love Belongs to Somebody Else."  I don't remember which.  I don't know if its true or not, but it makes for a good story.  Of course, Jones probably had the tunes floating around in his head until he could finalize them on a piano.
later,
Randy Fendrick
Southside Chicago Seven