[Dixielandjazz] The Gentlemen's Club

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 26 09:36:40 PDT 2011

Sixty years ago, I played a Dixieland gig as a sideman in a strip
joint in Hudson City NJ.

Been trying to repeat that ever since and finally succeeded. On
January 28 and 29, I'm playing clarinet in Ben Mauger's Vintage Jazz
Band at a "Gentlemen's Club" in Harrisburg PA. The theme for those 2
nights is "Prohibition Speakeasy", capitalizing on the HBO series.

This is the 3rd gig venue with a "Prohibition" theme, even if only one
time. The other two were as a sub at "The Farmers Cabinet" in
Philadelphia and "The Bookstore" in Bethlehem PA. Those are nightclubs
modeled after those during prohibition and continuing gigs. Anyone
else out there finding gigs at similar themed clubs?

So, if you are male, and in the area, come see the band and the ladies
at: The Savannah Gentlemen's Club, 1000 Hanna Street, Harrisburg PA.
Dave Sager will be on trombone Saturday night, Jan 29, if you are from
the Washington DC area and a fan.

http://sohclub.com/step-inside-the-club/     or

http://sohclub.com/the-ladies-of-savannahs/

Finally, a band playing music that goes back to Roots of Jazz, the
raw, earthy music of life. The only art at Savannah's will be that of
the ladies.

BTW, my wife said she was going to hide my teeth (partial upper plate)
on those nights. (grin)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband