[Dixielandjazz] Busking was Where are the young people?

Misrad HaJazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Mon Oct 24 14:03:24 PDT 2011

Hi Larry,

I have not had a mafia problem while busking in Israel, or in Santa
Monica, but I have had problems with other performers coming along and
deciding that they wanted the spot where I was playing. Either they
start nudnicking or yelling at me while I'm playing, or they would start
playing right next to or opposite me, claiming I was in "their" spot. I
would tell them that the street is public, and it goes by first come,
first served, but they usually don't agree.

There is usually not a policeman around to mediate. I havea learned the
hard way that being nice in such circumstances doesn't pay. You quickly
get pushed from place to place until you're off the street completely.
So I stay and play as loud as I can, figuring that I might make less, or
nothing, but I am going to make darn sure they don't benefit from
bullying me. It's very unpleasant, but I find it minimizes the bullying,
since those guys learn that they don't get rid of me so easily, and it's
not worth their while to fight. Sometimes the pedestrians will figure
out what's going on, and show support by giving me money. I've even had
a crowd close in around me to shut out the other player and give me a
sort of sheltered venue to work in.

The yellers are easier. I got pretty good at ignoring them and going on
playing as if they're not there. They run out of gas before long and go
away.

The street does have its challenges, but overall it's been worth the
effort and time to establish myself out there.

Elazar

Elazar Brandt
Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band
Jerusalem, Israel
www.doctorjazz.co.il
(02) 679-2537
(050) 723-3914

On 10/24/2011 10:02 AM, Larry Walton Entertainment wrote:
> I worked at School for the Blind and when I first started there were
> some Mafia like people that "helped" the blind beggars.  They set them
> up with locations like in front of a bank and then for a cut of the
> money would give them exclusive right to the corner.  I remember the
> parents of two of my students getting in a fight over a bank corner.
> That was about 1965.  The anti busking/beggar laws stopped it.
>
> There are similar people in New Orleans that get the little kids to
> tap dance for the crowds then the kids have to split with their
> "agent".  I have seen this so I know it happens.  I saw one of these
> guys almost strangle a little kid for his money.  I had seen the same
> guy about five or six years before tap dancing for the crowds.  I knew
> it was him because he had a very distinct look - almost deformed and
> he spoke Creole French.  That's the down side of busking and working
> the streets.
>
> I heard that in New Orleans this happened all the time to the street
> performers.  Someone was always there for their cut.  I don't know how
> true generally that is but in the case of the kid tap dancers it is
> absolutely true - I saw it.
>
> Nice to hear from you again Elazar.
> Larry
> St.L
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Misrad HaJazz"
> <jazzmin at actcom.net.il>

>>> drums.   Both of the street performers were selling CD's and getting