[Dixielandjazz] Current Tour of Original Wildcats

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Sun Oct 23 18:19:03 PDT 2011

I also drove the 2+ hours to Decatur from St. Louis to hear this band
and was blown away by their talent AND their onstage persona. Really
enjoyed them and plan to see them again as soon as possible (i.e.
Chandler in a couple weeks!). And I loved that when Ray got up to play
the keyboards a couple of times, one of the other musicians sat down at
the drums and kept the beat. This is a very talented group.

Although the leader/banjo player did all the vocal solos, it was also
clear that several of the other members had great voices too (including
Ray of course who does the singing for Red Lehr's Powerhouse Five and
sometimes for the St. Louis Rivermen). I hope they share the vocals in
Chandler. I think there was a problem of not enough microphones in
Decatur.

The other promising thing to me is that two of the members are
professors of music at the University of Arizona, Tuscon, which means
they take OKOM seriously and hopefully are passing that on to their
students.

Cheers, Tides, whatever,
Beth