[Dixielandjazz] Where are the young people?

Misrad HaJazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sun Oct 23 00:39:37 PDT 2011

Shalom Larry,

Yes, that's most unfortunate when cities ban street performers. They
throw out the baby with the bathwater. I used to busk in Santa Monica,
CA, on their pedestrian mall. There were lots of performers, and it was
sometimes hard to find a spot between the others without stepping on one
another. It lent a festive atmosphere to the place that was part of its
charm and attraction. But of course some of the merchants complained and
pulled some strings with the city. They held hearings about licensing
the performers. I went to one, and you could see it was a done deal ...
they give you a "fair" hearing, and then they do what they were already
going to do anyway. In the end, the license restrictions were so narrow
that most of us wouldn't qualify, even if we were willing to pay the
annual fee (there's always an annual fee when the government gets
involved, isn't there). So they killed it. Last time I was back you had
only semi-pro over-amplified bands with tons of equipment, giving more
of a rock concert feel than street performing.

I saw on our municipal website only lasts week that Jerusalem is looking
to "register" street performers. They don't say what that means yet, but
since I've been playing out there for 15 years, I "own" part of the
street, so I figured I'd better register and see what happens. They know
me, and my band is regularly hired by the city now, but paid gigs on the
street are not "street performing". They talk about auditions and
assigning places and times. That would kill it for me, because I have a
life and cannot commit to particular times for busking. They don't say
whether non-registered performers would be prohibited, or maybe they
only intend to give preference to the registered ones.

I routinely bring my students out to the street to give them a chance to
learn to perform for an audience without scaring the pants off them by
putting them on a stage. The music made by the students is rough and not
professional level, but it is also part of the charm of busking. Other
musicians and students do it to practice, and/or to put a little change
in their pockets. We put a hat out because the hat is a gauge of how
well we're playing, or at least of how well we're entertaining. When
people start asking us how much we charge to play for a party, we figure
we're reaching the threshold of becoming musicians.

By the way, here it is illegal for tourists and foreign students to
work, which includes busking. They can lose their visas. But it is
rarely enforced unless there is some other complaint that triggers it.
Some of the passers through are quite talented, and bring a nice variety
to the scene.

Of course, we have our beggars here too. Jerusalem is known for it, and
because of Judaism's emphasis on charity, it is almost encouraged. No
doubt people see the money in our hats and try to get in on the action,
so we see some beggars who can't play trying to act like they're
busking. There used to be one old guy who sat sleeping in a chair on the
street all day, holding a mandolin with no strings. Anyway, in
Jerusalem, the begging is not considered a problem. But one can
understand that it can be a problem in other cultures where it is less
acceptable. One can only hope that the powers that be could tell the
difference between legitimate performers and panhandlers or con artists.
One could also wish they'd make as much effort to get rid of pickpockets
as they do musicians!

Blessings,

Elazar

Elazar Brandt