[Dixielandjazz] Especially For the drummers

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 15:02:21 PDT 2011

The playing is excellent - but the sound is awful!
I don't thnk I've ever heard Pee Wee with Monk, but I can see how it
could work - two great eccentrics playing together!  Probably much
bettr than the company Monk usually kept.  Despite the weird harmonies
(or whatever they are), I like his solos, and his work with the Giants
of Jazz (Diz, Kay Winding, Sonny Stitt, Al McKibbon and Art Blakey)
was just great!
Too bad the Tel-Aviv performance at which Stitt played tenor as well
as his usual alto was not recorded, as I believe it was the only time
on the entire tour (including the other performances in Tel-Aviv and
elswhere in Israel) - and I had the good luck to be there!  I wetn
with apprehension, but it was so good that I went again the following
night.
Cheers