[Dixielandjazz] young people?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Oct 22 13:50:46 PDT 2011

A listmate named Bart included my name amongst others who give advice on
this list on how to attract young people to your gigs.  As much as I like
seeing my name in print, I must once again insist that I don't give advice
on these matters on the list or anywhere else!

What I have stated a number of times on djml is that my band plays to a
young audience mainly because we are lucky enough to play club gigs in the
center of a major European capital where young people are out on the streets
everynite all nite!

Kids come into the clubs because the band can be heard on the street and can
be seen through the windows and glass doors.  One place has a heavy door
charge which stifles the entrance of people wandering by a bit, but another
has no door charge & is always jam packed.  Another is a bit away from the
center, but has its own crowd, and usually has a line waiting to get
in..until 3am!

Getting them in is easy, keeping them there is another matter.  I attribute
that to high energy playing.  That's just what we do, and is not a
suggestion that others should or should not do the same.

Our band has been playing steadily in Madrid for 44 yrs now and is made up
of session recording musicians...all Spanish except for myself.  Most of the
tables are reserved nightly by fans which include young & old.  Most
requests we get are from fans requesting tunes from our CD's.

I feel extremely fortunate to be in such a position, but insist that we
don't attempt to play to any particular age group.  I, for one, just like to
play!

Jim