[Dixielandjazz] Where are the young people?

Joe Hopkins jazzclarinet at cox.net
Thu Oct 20 20:11:15 PDT 2011

On Nov 3 - 6 young Lindy Hoppers will be at the AZ Classic Jazz Festival. This is the 11th year we have had the swing dancers host their own Lindy Exchange at our Jazz festival. Our best years had over 300 young swing dancers and we always get over 100 of them at our festival. Their favorite bands to swing dance to are Jonathon Stout, Boilermakers, Loose Marbles (now defunct), and Titan Hot Seven just to give you a clue as to the styles of jazz they prefer. They love Basie and Goodman but they really do prefer the smaller combos when dancing to live music. Check out Slim & Slam on youtube...they love the beat those guys deliver. Our festival this year is at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort in downtown Chandler , Arizona. The bands will be Coast to Coast, Cornet Chop Suey, Dave Bennet Quartet, 52nd Street Jazz Band, High Sierra, Original Wildcat Jass Band, Pieter Meijers Quartet with Brady McKay, St. Louis Rivermen, Titan Hot Seven, Wally's Warehouse Waifs and others including Ivory & Gold, Ear Candy, Charlie Morris, & the Sun City Stomperz. If you want to see young people going nuts over OKOM ....join us on Nov 3-6.

Joe Hopkins
www.joehopkins.org