[Dixielandjazz] Song Requests was Young People

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Oct 20 10:27:14 PDT 2011

When I started playing a band leader handed me a list of tunes and the keys.
There were about 200 tunes on the list.  He said know them by next week.
Fortunately I was a quick study.  They were for the most part tunes I
already knew or had heard before.

Today I can't find musicians below sixty years old that know tunes and I
know only one piano player that's available to me that can play anything in
any key.  Unfortunately he's in so much demand he's difficult to hire.

You are talking about musicians that can do an arrangement on the fly and
make it sound like they have been playing together for years.  Again
musician's below about 60 just can't do it.  They for the most part need
charts and most don't have a clue what to do with a fake book.  The reasons
are fewer actual tunes, lack of experience, extreme differences in styles
and few jobs to learn them on.

The only place that knowledge of tunes today is important is in the C&W
bands.  I would say that they for the most part can  do what I'm talking
about but they have actual tunes with melodies, chord progressions and words
that are memorable.   Younger musician's who play C&W learn lots of tunes
and develop the ability to be smooth in a band.  If you watch the C&W local
shows there are lots of young people dancing and participating.  The best
thing about C&W is there seems to be no age barrier - If you like it you
like it.  That's where Jazz, OKOM, Rap, Hip Hop and some others fall down.
They are stratified into separate ethnic, age or cultural groups that may or
not sustain them for very long.

Personally I'm not much of a C&W fan but more people like it than Jazz.
Maybe we should take some lessons from them.  As they say KISS, Keep it
simple stupid.  I have known some jazz musicians that seem to take great
pride in playing past their audiences. How dumb. That's just plain arrogance
and does none of us any good.
Larry
StL