[Dixielandjazz] Barbone Street Concert on the Wilmington Riverfront

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 19 18:42:02 PDT 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 6:32 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Stephen G Barbone wrote:
>> Here's a clip of part of our concert on the Riverfront on August 4,
>> 2011. It hit the local news on Sept 1.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhy_X2vKmg4
>
> Dear Steve,
> I'm a bit late with this reply.
> Been busy, busy.
> Thanks for the news clip.
> But no personnel.
> Nice trombone solo.
> Is that the same girl you had before or another one?
> She looks and sounds different.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

Same girl. She did not play any small band jazz or Dixieland when we
added her a few years ago. Just Big Band Swing. She has progressed
very nicely and audiences love her. Great thing about her is that she
learns the tunes on her own. Very talented young lady. We neither
rehearse, nor use charts. I just gave her a tune list of some 250
songs and she learned them at home on her own and/or on the gigs.

Mostly by searching for song/band examples on you tube, or the red hot
site and listening, and by google searching Dan Barrett, Bill Allred,
Bob Havens and listening to how they play. (She also listens to JJ
Johnson, Urbie Green, Kai Winding Melba Liston, Sliden Selena, et al.)

She is a great singer and I'll ask her during performances what she
wants to sing. She just names an American  Songbook tune, the key, and
our guitarist, bass, drums and I back her up. All without rehearsal.
Last Saturday she named "Isn't It A Lovely Day" in F,  a song none of
us had played together before and we did it as if we had been playing
it for years. Not many bands can do that kind of thing and one of the
reasons we get so much outside work (wedding/private party etc) is
that we can usually fulfill just about any Great American Songbook or
Dixieland request from the guests. (except those from artsy jazz fans
who request songs like "Here Comes The Hot Tamale Man" which nobody in
the band knows other than me. <grin>)

Personnel on that clip were: Me on clarinet, Paul Grant trumpet; Cindy
Leibe trombone; Sonny Troy guitar; Mike Piper drums and DeWitt Kay on
double bass. Dewitt has  been subbing for Ace Tesone these past 3
months during Ace's surgery and recovery from colon cancer. Ace is
back with us from this Sunday on.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband