[Dixielandjazz] Davenport Blues

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 17 14:57:58 PDT 2011

>  david richoux <domitype at gmail.com> wrote about a Davenport Blues
> version he had not heard.
>
> With special surprise bass line...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8mmKQzbCgY

One of the most memorable and inventive Davenport Blues I ever heard
was by Gerry Mulligan and Zoot Sims, on a Mulligan Album titled
Something Borrowed Something Blue. (Limelight) His take turned the
song into a slow, sexy, belly rubbing Blues.

You can hear all 7 minutes and 32 seconds of it at:

http://justmp3music.com/mp3/Gerry-Mulligan-Davenport-Blues/

Click on "Prelisten track" on the upper right side of the page.

SOULFUL is how I hear it. A song to listen to while with your main
squeeze in front of a roaring fire on a bearskin rug in winter. The
only thing missing, as Don Ingle would say, is a wee dram of Cardhu.

Mulligan bari sax; Sims tenor sax; Eddie Gomez bass; David Baily
drums; Warren Bernhardt piano

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband