[Dixielandjazz] Subbing? was Piano Player

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Oct 17 00:56:24 PDT 2011

There are some musicians in fairly large numbers such as trumpet and sax but
around here piano players are in short supply.  As the group gets smaller
the competence of the piano man has to get better.

The other thing is I am booking a lot during the week which means that some
guy that works days isn't available.

Most keyboard players who want to work a lot are doing singles and duos.
There is a lot more money there.  Frankly I don't know but a couple of
musicians (side men ) who command over $125 for a gig with a band here in
St. Louis.  That doesn't mean that there aren't any, it just means I don't
know them.  I'm sure that if someone was paying anywhere near what you were
quoting, word would get around.  Now I do know some leaders who regularly
pull down $500 up but they aren't paying side men anywhere near that.

The best piano man that I know ( 25 years with an AF band ) is doing a
single near his home across the river.  Prying him away from his gig takes
some serious money and he doesn't like to cross the river.  He just won't
drive the typically 50 miles or so to a gig.  If you stop and think about it
after driving for an hour each way, playing a three hour gig and hauling a
keyboard and amp, no one in their right mind would do that if they had a
steady single going ten minutes from their house.

One of the best players I know works one hour nursing home gigs for $35.  I
know that because I know what the leader pays and this guy works for him all
the time.  I left out the name and instrument to protect the innocent.

I would agree with one thing you said and yes I do live in a musically
challenged part of the country.  The only people who make a living with
music (playing) are the symphony players and maybe a couple of
leaders/bookers.  I hate to say it but St. Louis is and has always been
backward musically.  The best musicians flee to the coasts if they want to
make a living.
Larry
St.L