[Dixielandjazz] Mickey Mouse Music / Mickey Bands etc

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Oct 13 22:49:47 PDT 2011

I remember lots of jobs like that.  When you mentioned fire escapes that
brought to mind Club Imperial of Ike and Tina Turner fame.  That was really
something, carrying a band up and down the fire escape.

There were a lot of dance halls that were on the second and third floors of
buildings.  Today I won't play the Casa Loma here because of the steps (and
neighborhood too).

There were a lot of ethnic halls like German and Italian here in St. Louis.
I especially liked playing the Beer Gardens in South St. Louis but by the
time I got out of college in the middle 60's and returned most of them were
no more.  I guess it was TV or people just quit dancing.

I saw a show on the History channel that explored how air conditioning
changed the country.  Maybe people were staying home more watching TV in the
AC rather than having a beer outdoors at the beer gardens.
Larry
St.L