[Dixielandjazz] Mickey Mouse Music / Mickey Bands etc

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 13 15:15:43 PDT 2011

Stephen G Barbone wrote [in part] in reply to Roger Wade who also wrote:
"My 88 year old father tells me he heard this term used before World War 2 for bands like Welk's and others of that non-swinging style.  He specifically mentioned Guy Lombardo and Shep Fields to me as examples."

> I agree Roger, the term was in use before the big war. Here's a clip from an oft quoted biography of Guy Lombardo:
> "The Sweetest Music This Side of Heaven" was the logo of Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians, who by 1930 had established themselves as America's top dance band. Unfairly lumped in with unswinging "Mickey Mouse" bands of the era, the music of Lombardo's outfit was actually top-notch, and they were constantly cited by Louis Armstrong as his favorite band for their purity of intonation..."

Dear Steve,
While in no way doubting Roger's father's comment, if you are referring to the Lombardo autobiography "Auld Acquaintance" (Double Day), written with Jack Altshul, that is hardly proof as the book was published in October 1975.
By which time the term "Mickey Mouse bands" was in common use so hardly qualifies, to this mouldy old pedant/jazz historian, as proof of a preWWII origin.
8>)

> A cache of early sides for Gennett reveals that the band was capable of playing "hot" any time they wanted to.......

They certainly do and are available (Worlds Records) on a 1999 Sensation CD 026.
The Gennett and some Columbia sessions from 1924 to 1928. I have this, along with a TOM 29 LP from the same period.
You could also compare the arrangements of Louis Armstrong's 23 December 1930 recording of "Sweethearts on Parade" with the November 1928 Lombardo rendition at YouTube:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okwvR2-99IA
Ditto "You're Driving Me Crazy".
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMeLSsnxsFE&feature=related
Lombardo (11 November 1930), Armstrong  (23 December 1930).
Very kind regards,
Bill