[Dixielandjazz] Freddie Gruber - RIP

SargentDrums at aol.com SargentDrums at aol.com
Wed Oct 12 15:17:09 PDT 2011

Famed jazz drummer Freddie Gruber -- who taught  and influenced a
generation of rock drummers -- died Oct. 11 in Los Angeles  after a lengthy illness.
He was 84.

According to DrummerWorld, Gruber got  his start in New York during the
be-bop era, performing with the late Charlie  Parker and became a roommate and
longtime friend of drumming legend Buddy  Rich.

Gruber was also responsible for helping Rush drummer Neil Peart  "reinvent"
his style in the 1990s. "He was easy you know because he wasn't  nuts,"