[Dixielandjazz] What was Mickey? and a little more

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Wed Oct 12 12:57:55 PDT 2011

The year - sometime between 1957 and 1961.
I worked with some of the bands mentioned,
Lester Lanin, Howard Lanin, Meyer Davis, etal
and we referred to "society two step" dancing as
Mickey Mouse.
========
For those who put down these bands, try working
with one of them. I was offered the first of my gigs
with a "society" band by Jack Medoff and my reaction was "aw c'mon."
On the other hand I was taught that "professional"
meant "know all that you can and learn every skill
pertaining to the business." At Jack's invitation I went
to the Waldorf to hear the band he was playing with.
Whoa! A twenty piece band with no printed music.
The band leader held up three fingers and the band
immediately modulated to the key of E flat. Similarly
tempo changes, medleys, dynamics, mute changes
were all  as perfect as could be.

These guys could play anything from symphonic to
be-bop. I decided to take the gig. Lucky for me, and
other piano players, all one needs to know is the chord
changes. You can always "goof around" the melody and
get away with it.
========
Postscript:The best part of working at the Waldorf.

The room we were working had "french service."
The cost of dinner was about $50.00 per person.
The white gloved waiters brought
fresh trays from the kitchen to the table and the customers
chose what they wanted. The left overs were returned to the kitchen and
emptied onto a steam table. The items on the steam table
were chateau briand, prime ribs, all sorts of sea food,
baked alaska, cheese cake, cherries jubilee on and on and on.
This assortment of food for the employees.
The cost of a unlimited buffet dinner for employees was five cents.

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com