[Dixielandjazz] Male Dowager

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 12 10:11:32 PDT 2011

>  Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote
>
> More definitions please.  I was just reading about a party Steve B.
> was
> going to play in honor of a dowager.   Defined: 1. a  widow holding
> property
> or a title from her deceased husband  2 : a  dignified elderly woman
>
> Got me wondering what is the term for a man of same status?

Here in the Eastern USA the male counterpart  would perhaps be
"Brahmin", which is loosely defined as:

A socially or culturally superior person, especially a descendant of
the upper classes from New England usually possessing large amounts of
old money. Usually WASPS (White Anglo Saxon Protestants)

The New England reference is to blood lines of the early settlers in
the colonies who struck it rich.

eg. He was a Boston Brahmin  (John Adams family, Henry Cabot (& Lodge)
Family, Choate Family, Chaffee Family (Senator from Rhode Island) etc.

Or as Jack Mitchell might say, a rich old fart. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband