[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Oct 11 14:27:10 PDT 2011

I learned that it was a good idea to write scripts to answer questions
regarding this very question and others.  It increased my booking.  The two
deadly questions are what kind of music do you play and how much do you
charge?  If you answer these right off the bat you probably won't book the
job.

I have found that you must get them talking about their party - guests size
and work in your answers as you go.

Look carefully at Steve's reply and you will find all the elements of a
successful reply.  I'll bet the price was discussed last.  Think of the
questions he asked to get this information before the sell job about the
American Song Book and musicians.

If you aren't very good at this list questions and possible responses and
your answers to them.

Write down a response to what do you play (see Steve's)

Then your price and what to say if they balk.  There are ways to cut a few
bucks off without egg on your face   For example you can discount maybe $10
per man by telling them the price included formal wear and if they want just
business suits or whatever you can take that off.  Back when I booked a lot
of receptions it was sometimes a deal maker.

Practice these responses until you can say it easily.  I guarantee your jobs
will increase.

Thanks Steve - great response.
Larry
StL