[Dixielandjazz] "Dixieland"

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Oct 11 12:44:28 PDT 2011

I think that there are some interesting differences between Dixieland and
other jazz forms.

Let me tell you what classically it's most like.  During the late 1800's the
rage was John Phillip Sousa.  Dixie musicians were exposed to his music and
one of the theories was that many military musicians (Spanish American War)
formed some of the early bands or at least supplied instruments to the pawn
shops of New Orleans where many were disembarked after the war.  I say
that's a theory and I don't think there could have been all that many
musicians but maybe there was.

The Dixie band instruments and the parts they play, follow almost exactly
the same form as Sousa.  The clarinet plays high counterpoint to the melody.
The melody is in the cornet.  Trombone also plays counterpoint to the
melody.  The tuba plays almost exactly the same bass lines and the drums
play a typical street beat.  The other music that resembles Dixie is Mozart
with his intricate melodies and counterpoint.  This isn't just coincidence.
Sousa and bands like his were the rock stars of their day.  That's why I
believe that the similarity is intentional and not an accident.

Solos were added later thanks to Louis Armstrong.

I have maintained for a long time is that Dixieland is Ragtime for musicians
that couldn't read music.  That tradition is still strong today in the bands
that use head arrangements, the ability to play "by ear" and compose
intricate counterpoint on the fly.
Larry
StL