[Dixielandjazz] Male Equivalent of Dowager

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Tue Oct 11 13:53:14 PDT 2011

Hi Ginny,

I'm sure our Brit friends will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
think there is such a thing. The males keep their titles until they die.
The woman only becomes a dowager because her husband has died and the
title has passed on to his heir (and spouse). Hence you hear of a
dowager duchess but never a dowager duke.

That's my guess anyway.

Beth