[Dixielandjazz] Vale Harry Callaghan

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Fri Oct 7 21:05:20 PDT 2011

Bill, Jerry, et al.....truthfully....until I read the "Cheers, Oxydol,
Tide," etc., explanation, I also thought that "Tides" was short for
"Tidings."  But the tongue-in-cheek tale told by Allan  DID sound like
something Harry would say.....so I thought, what the heck, I had
misinterpreted it.  It's all good....

Janie

Jerry Gordon wrote [in part]:
> I always thought "Tides" was short for 'tidings,' as in "glad tidings."

Dear Jerry,
So did I, so never felt a need to query Harry about it.
But, from my off list 'conversations' with him, it would surprise me if that
is what he orignally meant, but used the soap manufacturer story for those
who had to ask about 'Tides'.
Good tidings,
Bill.