[Dixielandjazz] Vale Harry Callaghan and TIDES

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Fri Oct 7 18:31:28 PDT 2011

 I only met Harry earlier this year and we struck up a very similar immediate off list friendship,  I too had been wondering
why he suddenly dropped off the regular postings.  R.I.P. Harry  it's not fun to lose a friend especially a new one who shared my same warped sense
of humor and sarcasm .  You had some good friends on this list off list :)) ha ha   and we all enjoyed you and your wit.

Harry was a very clever fellow.

Bart

Allan...thanks so much for sharing the "Mystery of the Tides"-- that sounds
just like something Harry would come up with!

Along with so many others, I frequently communicated with him off-list.  The
first time was because something he said on-list made me laugh out
loud....don't remember what, but one of his usual irreverences...and I sent
him a quick note, which received a speedy and equally humorous response.
He rarely failed to catch my attention and make me smile.

And that's a fine thing for which to be remembered!

Janie

Regarding "tides".  It's really kinda silly, but awhile back, when I was
only on the Tradjazz list, I noticed several subscribers or listmates were
always signing off with "Cheers".

Corny as it may sound, since Cheer is a nationally known detergent, I
adopted Tide hoping that someone would ask why.  My response would have been
that I thought Rinso or Oxydol would have sounded dumb.

No one ever did and then "tides" evolved into being an expression of my
ever-changing moods, like the tides flowing and ebbing.

I have only revealed this to one other person and he is involved in the
Federal Witness Protection Program so you must treat this the same way one
would the secret identities of Superman, Batman &Robin and the Green Hornet