[Dixielandjazz] The guitar in trad jazz (Shameless Plug Alert)

Daniel Barrett danpbarrett at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 7 12:38:52 PDT 2011

Heigh Ho, everyone (was it Rudy Vallee who used to say that?),

This is your Infrequent Correspondent Dan Barrett checking in, with a rather shameless--yet possibly interesting--plug. With regard to the recent exchanges about the use of the guitar in traditional jazz, I thought at least a few DJML members would be interested to know that the great guitarist Howard Alden will be the guitar instructor at the new Jazz at Chautauqua Workshop (in upstate New York) next September 16-20 2012.  This new Workshop precedes the annual Jazz at Chautauqua jazz party, which begins Thursday evening, Sept 20th, and runs through Sunday, Sept 23 2012.

Howard is of course known for his world-wide performances; zillions of recordings (several with the late George Van Eps); and for his work on the soundtrack to Woody Allen's film, Sweet and Lowdown. Howard coached actor Senn Penn on the guitar; it is Howard whom you hear (accompanied by Bucky Pizzarelli) when Penn is seen playing onscreen.

Lest those of you doubt Howard's connection with OKOM, I recall an incident many years ago, when Howard and I sat in with a traditional jazz band "somewhere in New York."  Howard had his tenor banjo (on which he's also a whiz), and I had my rusty--I mean trusty--trombone. The band was a bit uppity in their attitude, trying to be genuine "mouldy fygges."  The leader blithely told us, "We're going to play a tune you guys have never heard of. It's called Papa Dip."

I replied, "Was that one recorded by the New Orleans Bootblacks, or the Wanderers? I keep getting them mixed up. But it's in E flat, right?" That got them off balance, then Howard got them on the ropes. He said, "Do you guys start with the verse, or save it for later?"

The leader sheepishly replied, "Er...we don't play the verse."

"Oh, OK,"  Howard said. "Dan and I will play the verse up front." And we did.

All this is by way of saying that Howard knows his way around traditional jazz, and has studied historic guitar and banjo styles since he first began playing. I think the Jazz at Chautauqua Workshop affords a rare opportunity for guitarists (and banjoists) to study in a beautiful setting with this world-class player.

To conclude my Shameless Plug: in addition to Howard and me, the other instructors are: Duke Heitger, trumpet; Scott Robinson, clarinet & saxes; Rossano Sportiello (a stride virtuoso, but an extraordinary player in other areas of jazz as well; find him on YouTube), piano; Kerry Lewis, bass; Ricky Malachi, drums; and Rebecca Kilgore, vocal instruction.

The focus of the Workshop will be on collective improvisation, and should be a lot of fun. I am proud to be its Musical Director, and pleased that my "first choices" for instructors were all available! For more information about both the Workshop and jazz party, please contact Nancy Griffith at nancylynngriffith at yahoo.com, or the Athenaeum Hotel in Chautauqua, NY (www.athenaeum-hotel.com). A new website is in the works, but in the meantime, you can find out more about the jazz party at: www.alleghenyjazz.com

Finally, as I was thinking about "trad jazz" guitar, I recalled the great work by Johnny St. Cyr on Jelly Roll Morton's recording of Doctor Jazz.  Both his rhythm playing and solo breaks are, to me, amazing. Also, he's fairly prominent in the balance, so you can really hear what he's doing with--and for--the band.  Well worth another listen...and then a few thousand more...

Thanks for indulging me this plug.  I don't know a better way to get the word out to interested parties.

OK; let's get back to the action...

--Dan.