[Dixielandjazz] "Dixieland" and Condon

M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 6 08:34:52 PDT 2011

>>>Neither Condon, nor any of the musicians in his various bands liked to
be limited by the word "Dixieland" as a descriptor of the music they
played. In effect, they felt "Dixieland", with all of its baggage, was
a type of music for squares.<<<

This reminds me of what for those aware of the context wince at during the 1962 "Jazz Casual" show with Muggsy Spanier.  The host, Ralph Gleason, after the first number asks Muggsy if what they were playing was "dixieland".  Muggsy then says (not exact quote) "Well, there's first-rate dixieland, then there's second-rate dixieland, etc," and he's saying it with a smirk shared (I believe) by Gleason.  The context is that the previous week's guest was Turk Murphy.