[Dixielandjazz] Greg Henry Waters

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 5 14:56:04 PDT 2011

Greg is undoubtedly a virtuoso musician. And if he says so, an artist

That being said, to see where he is coming from folks, may find his
May 2008 newsletter interesting. You can read his own words at:

http://www.greghenrywaters.com/musicnews/conversationwithraul.html

After reading it, small wonder he dislikes Marsalis.  (and Phil
Woods). The article also leaves little doubt that the 80 percent of
the jazz he dislikes includes OKOM. Here's a quote from him:

"so I have always been suffering from the lack of knowledge from jazz
musicians, they have a limited perspective on music and for the most
part only played traditional jazz from the 40 to the 70's period."

If one reads his numerous other rants on various sites, it becomes
quite clear that here is a guy with an overdeveloped ego ranting about
musicians who promote themselves. All the while, being a champion self
promoter himself.

I wish him the very best musically and socially, but please Greg,
spare us poor mortals who cannot find original notes, your vitriol.
And please realize that after listening to you musical offerings,
while they are superb, I have not heard you play an original note
either.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband