[Dixielandjazz] Lincoln Center & Prohibition

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 12:53:56 PDT 2011

> Gary Kiser <gary at kiser.org> wrote (polite snip)
>

> Hi Y'All,
>
> Every time I bring up anything that remotely has something to do with
> Wynton Marsalis, there is always a stir over his capacity or
> incapacity
> to play old style jazz. .. . .
>
> Once again, I send you a link for this week's show. This show is build
> around Ken Burn's upcoming documentary on the prohibition era. Here is
> the short description :
>
> Prohibition and the Jazz Age - Broadcast date:September 29, 2011
> Prohibition was intended to stifle vice - but instead, it nourished
> clubs run by organized crime and created a hot bed for jazz -- where
> "The parties were bigger?the pace was faster?and the morals were
> looser"
> (F. Scott Fitzgerald). Ken Burns joins host Wendell Pierce to bring us
> the sound of the speakeasies. Bix Beiderbecke, Louis Armstrong, Jelly
> Roll Morton and James P. Johnson are on the menu as Doug Wamble and
> Vince Giordano join the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra.
>
> In my opinion, many of you won't like their treatment of Tony
> Jackson's
> "Naked Dance," but I can't wait to hear what you find wrong with the
> rest of the show. I want to hear from musos and non-musos. Ok, here is
> the link, let's see what ya think. Enjoy.
>
> http://jalc.org/jazzcast/archive_player09.asp?ProgramNumber=453
>
> Don't worry, I put on my helmet and goggles.

Dear Gary:

Thanks for posting the link. IMO, simply marvelous. Anyone who doesn't
like what Wynton & LCJB offers (time and again) simply has no concept
of how to get this music to the public at large.

I say to any who criticize, why not put on  your own show?

For Barbone Street, it was in large measure what Wynton and Burns did
with the "Jazz" show a decade or so ago, that energized us to be able
to make some good money playing for regular folks of all ages. We
built upon the popularity of that show and our marketing based upon it
was certainly successful. Other bands in our area complain about lack
of audience while we just keep playing LOTS of gigs.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband