[Dixielandjazz] Some basic info sought about guitar style for Dixieland j...

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Tue Oct 4 08:48:20 PDT 2011

Hi Peter,
I went searching for what David "Sheik" Littlefield has to say on this
since I like it.
Link to "Sheik's comments on Dixieland:
_http://americanmusiccaravan.com/davepage.html_
(http://americanmusiccaravan.com/davepage.html)

Link to his page of comments on rhythm for Swing.
_http://americanmusiccaravan.com/davepage.html_ (http://americanmusiccaravan.com/davepage.html)

Notice Sheik calls for guitar to do a 4/4 "choked" stroke.

I agree with those who told me along the way to almost always play straight
 down strokes with no "chunka-chunka"; no hitting the strings as you bring
the  hand back up.
The single down stroke, whether guitar of banjo, two-beat or four, choked
or allowed a tad of a ring leaves more space for the horns; i.e., melody and
 improvisation.  But, honest to God, when I have suggested to some banjo
players that they play this way, they tell me they are unable to not do the
chunka-chunka -- at least a partial explanation for very valid  banjo-hating.

Ginny