[Dixielandjazz] Banjo vs. Guitar

Rick Zahniser zahniser99 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 15:33:50 PDT 2011

I've been playing both guitar and (4-string) banjo with bands since 1948.
I've heard the opinions expressed here many times.  Much is based on
erroneous understanding of the music.  The difference between a Sousa brass
band and a symphony is not just a matter of taste.  The music and the
purpose are really different.

Until the invention of the electric pickup, the guitar was generally not
loud enough for jazz or swing.  Benny Goodman told one rhythm guitarist that
he wanted the guitar to set the rhythm for the sidemen, not for the
audience.  On the other hand, the banjo was very showy.  Paul Whiteman put
the banjo out in front.   So did Spike Jones!!

But, the music actually EVOLVED so that the guitar was appropriate.
Remember that Condon started on banjo -- Tenor Banjo -- and that evolved
into tenor guitar.  I suspect that the banjo was too loud (just like drums)
for the available recording technology.  Another important evolution was the
cymbal.  Listen to Coon-Sanders and other bands of the era and you hear lots
of stops and splash.  The hi-hat was invented about 1930 -- until then, the
"off beat" (2 and 4) were played by the banjo.  Tuba played the one and
three.  With the two and four being played with a hi-hat, the one and three
could be more subtle.  String basses played all four beats.  The music lost
that 20's feel.   It became swing.
So, whatever "Dixieland" was in the 20's, by the 30's it was SWING.

Country swing had a different feel, because the guitars (usually more than
one) played what we called "Sock" (strong off beat) and the country players
now call "Chop"   Bluegrass bands never have drums, so Chop is played by
mando or banjo, or dobro -- rarely by the guitar which is played
open-string.  (A historical note -- originally, the Bob Wills band had a
banjo!!)

I notice that the Dixie movement is latching on to the word "Trad".  No
fair.  The term was invented because people complained about California jazz
being called Dixie.  "It's not from Dixie" they said, and they were right.
Trad was invented by Lu Watters in 1942.   The front line was the same (alto
Lu had two trumpets) but there was Tuba and Banjo in the rhythm section. He
was very particular, as were his followers:
+ Turk Murphy
+ Ward Kimball (Firehouse five)
+ Allen Fredrickson (Queen City Jazz Band)  see
http://www.queencityjazzband.com/

John Gill.. you know this stuff because you were one of my coaches at the
first Adult Trad Jazz in San Diego, along with Bob Schultz and Vince
Giordano.  I know you hang out in NO a lot, so you may not be as biased as I
am.

I have a trad jazz band called "The Colorado Nighthawks."   They are
wonderful, but we can't find anyplace to play.
I need a 501C(3) non-profit corp (called the Colorado Springs Trad Jazz
Project) to get access to grants, which are plentiful.  However, a 501C(3)
costs a Thousand Dollars to start.   Oh, well.   Someday soon.

Rick Zahniser  playing as Rick Jolley
Guitar/Banjo/Dobro/Bass.
Colorado Springs