[Dixielandjazz] Jazz at Lincoln Center and the Prohibition

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon Oct 3 16:14:02 PDT 2011

Hi Y'All,

Every time I bring up anything that remotely has something to do with
Wynton Marsalis, there is always a stir over his capacity or incapacity
to play old style jazz. Again, I throw out my 2 centimes : I think he is
great. But more, I regularly listen to the Jazz at Lincoln Center
broadcasts I think that organization is top notch with or without
Marsalis. Who needs Wynton in the trumpet section ? They already got
Ryan Kisor and Marcus Printup. Then, a reed section with Walter Blanding
Jr., Ted Nash, Victor Goines and Joe Temperley. And, Vincent Gardner can
play trombone. All backed up by Dan Nimmer on piano, Carlos Henriquez on
bass and Ali Jackson on drums. If they played basketball, this would be
a dream team.

Once again, I send you a link for this week's show. This show is build
around Ken Burn's upcoming documentary on the prohibition era. Here is
the short description :

Prohibition and the Jazz Age - Broadcast date:September 29, 2011
Prohibition was intended to stifle vice - but instead, it nourished
clubs run by organized crime and created a hot bed for jazz -- where
"The parties were bigger…the pace was faster…and the morals were looser"
(F. Scott Fitzgerald). Ken Burns joins host Wendell Pierce to bring us
the sound of the speakeasies. Bix Beiderbecke, Louis Armstrong, Jelly
Roll Morton and James P. Johnson are on the menu as Doug Wamble and
Vince Giordano join the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra.

In my opinion, many of you won't like their treatment of Tony Jackson's
"Naked Dance," but I can't wait to hear what you find wrong with the
rest of the show. I want to hear from musos and non-musos. Ok, here is
the link, let's see what ya think. Enjoy.

http://jalc.org/jazzcast/archive_player09.asp?ProgramNumber=453

Don't worry, I put on my helmet and goggles.

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson
63100 Clermont-Ferrand