[Dixielandjazz] Banjo or guitar?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 1 14:07:49 PDT 2011

On Oct 1, 2011, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> John Gill <smokewagon at yahoo.com> wrote (polite snip)
>

> Remember that the banjo was not even seen in bands until around
> 1916,and if a bass instrument was used it was?almost always a string
> bass until the early 1920's.?By the time the banjo was added the
> music we now call "dixieland" or "Trad jazz" had been around for
> almost 30 years. The earlist bands used a guitar and no piano and
> bass (bowed) and a violin,?

Yes indeed. Most of us are, or should be, familiar with that picture
of Buddy Bolden's band, circa 1906. It shows guitar and string bass.
Other early photos show the Woodland Band (with Kid Ory circa 1905)
with guitar and string bass. As do photos of Freddie Keppard and The
Creole orchestra circa 1914.

John also said: "If you dislike the banjo then by all means don't use
one. But remember that in the hands of the right player they are
powerful rhythm instruments in many ways more effective than the
acoustic
guitar "

Amen to that too. IMO you can develop a following using either
instrument. We've done it with Steve DiBonaventura who played both
instruments. We found on gigs that older white audiences, primarily
listeners, loved and requested the banjo, while the younger folks, who
wanted to dance, loved the guitar. We also had a great rhythm section
with Al Smith on banjo and Ace Tesone on string bass for many years
prior to Al's passing.

Whatever works for the audience is best, since they are paying to hear
the band.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband