[Dixielandjazz] Traditional Jazz (Banjo or Guitar)

Tony Pringle tonypringle at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 07:38:42 PDT 2011

Dear List Mates,

I almost wrote on this subject when someone had stated that to be
traditional jazz the band had to have a tuba and a banjo, but decided
that a lot of people would jump in on that one. I have to say that I
didn't see anyone refuting that particular statement. Maybe I missed it?

All the bands in which I have played have had banjo players starting
with my first George Lewis style band to the New Black Eagles. Peter
Bullis, our banjoist for many years, has sometimes brought along a tenor
guitar and would play it on ballads like Home, Duke Ellington
compositions or when backing a solo feature by Bill Novick. Nowadays he
increases the muting of his banjo to approximate a more guitar-like
sound for such features.

I actually prefer a rhythm section of guitar, string bass, piano and
drums for traditional jazz. The sound is lighter and swings way more in
my estimation. I would draw people's attention to the Kid Ory Band's
rhythm section and that of the Luis Russell band. Note also that Jelly
Roll Morton used Bud Scott on guitar on some of his recordings. On our
recording of "Nothing But The Blues" we had Duke Robillard, of "Room
Full Of Blues" fame, on 4 or 5 tracks and I thought that the sound was
very much to my liking.

This is not to say that I don't like banjo having had the pleasure of
playing for many years with Peter Bullis and also having enjoyed playing
with such players as Jimmy Mazzy, Jürgen Kulus, Mike Cox, Mal Horne and
Bill Dixon to name a few.

BTW - referring to the banjo must go with tuba thing, I would like to
point out that string bass works so much better and the bass player can
also help by tuning the banjo.

Cheers,

Tony Pringle
Leader, New Black Eagle Jazz Band