[Dixielandjazz] "Three Cohens" with Jon Hendricks reviewed - Buffalo News, November 27, 2011

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 13:37:33 PST 2011

.

> It's no surprise anymore that the jazz mainstream is not only alive and well and
> living in the Israeli jazz emigre precincts of Brooklyn (especially with the Cohen
> family), but that, by now, some of the most veteran jazz players in New York know
> it. When you've got Jon Hendricks -- the most regal figure in all of vocal bebop
> -- sitting in with the Three Cohens (that's how the family bills it when they perform
> together) for a version of "Sunny Side of the Street" and drummer Gregory Hutchinson
> putting snap into everything, you begin to understand how much musicians depend on
> young Anat, Yuval and Avishai Cohen to keep jazz traditions going as beautifully
> as this. When they play Ellington's "The Mooche," or grand favorites "Tiger Rag"
> or "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans" or "Roll 'Em Pete," the pleasure
> is pretty much unalloyed.

Strange.  Ot the three Cohens, only Anat is an OKOM player; the other
two are very modern, often veriging on avant garde.
At hte first Caesarea Jazz Festiva, the Cohen Brothers band played a
tribute to Armstrong.  They admitted that it was completely different
from waht they usually played.  The best I can say is that they rarely
deteriorated into modern mayhem.   The only one who could really play
it was Anat, who came over as a member of Five Play (a small
contingent of the all-girl Diva).

> But the way their own tunes fit in with those jazz classics
> is a bit of a knockout.

  The other Cohen who lives in New York is hardly a mainstream player
(OK, mainstream is a rather vague term).  One of the Cohen brothers
lives and works in Israel.  I am influenced by the British use of the
word; in the days I was a Jazz Journal subscriber, it meant there waht
Americans have always called "swing."

Cheers