[Dixielandjazz] Pentatonic Scales - Was A Song We Love

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 19 09:21:28 PST 2011

> Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote
>

> Dear DJML mates,
> Received this morning.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>>> At Carnegie Hall, gospel singer Wintley Phipps delivers  a
>>> powerful rendition of Amazing Grace. He says, "A lot of people
>>> don't realize that just about all Negro spirituals are written on
>>> the black notes of the piano. Probably the most famous on this
>>> slave scale was written by John Newton, who used to be the captain
>>> of a slave ship, and many believe he heard this melody that sounds
>>> very much like a West African sorrow chant. And it has a haunting,
>>> haunting plaintive quality to it that reaches past your arrogance,
>>> past your pride, and it speaks to that part of you that's in
>>> bondage. And we feel it. We feel it. It's just one of the most
>>> amazing melodies in all of human history." After sharing the
>>> noteworthy history of the song, Mr. Phipps delivers a stirring
>>> performance that brings the audience to its feet!
>
>>> http://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=1312

Dear Bill:

I'm not so sure that most negro spirituals were "written"  on the
black notes of a piano. I am sure that most negro spirituals can be
"played" on the black notes of a piano. (IF one plays them all in Eb
minor using the pentatonic scale)

I believe Wintley Phipps didn't make the difference clear.

For example, a G major pentatonic scale is: G, A, B, D, E. or an A
Minor Pentatonic scale is A, C, D, E, G. Or an F Pentatonic Scale is
F, G, A, C, D, F.  No black piano notes IN ANY OF THEM.

Ergo, the key that a song is written in determines how many black
notes are used. Thus a song written in Eb Minor, using the petatonic
scale) is the only one that would exclusively use all black keys on a
piano. (Eb, Gb, Ab, Bb, Db, Eb)

For minor key pentatonic scales, see:
http://www.jazclass.aust.com/scales/scamip.htm

BTW, Elvis sang it in  G.  And Barbone Street plays it in F, which I
always thought was the original key.  That uses 5 White keys on the
piano (F, G, A, C, D, F)

For major key pentatonic scales see:
http://www.jazclass.aust.com/scales/scamap.htm

Cheers,