[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 12:00:55 PST 2011

Last night, my friends and dared the elements andI went to hear the
New Orleans Function at the Susan Dalal Center in Tel-Aviv.  Acually,
when I left home, it wasn't even raining, even though it had been most
of the day.  By the time I started walking from the parking (which is
scarce in the area, the first quarter of Tel-Aviv), all the proverbial
cats and dogs were thee, and pehaps other animals as well.  Zeus, too,
seemed enraged.  This was the band's first show in a long while - its
leader Eli Preminger had just returned from NYC and New Orleans.

The show went very well;it also featured a singer, Michal Shapiro, who
was not too bad (for the American listmates: this means she was really
good!), had good diction and knew how to put a song through.  At
first, the band sounded a little shaky, but that changed by the end of
the first number; henceforth, the performance went very well.
When I commented to our new friends that I was surprised by the
advanced age of most of the audience and the small number of young
people, my friend's wife retorted that she was surprised by the
relatively young age of the audience.  But the, it was their first NOF
show; they did not know that the planned weekly dance gig of the band
failed because the powers that be adverised it as an outing for those
over 30 and enforced that policy on the band's first evening at the
place.  Since most of its ardent  - and dancing - followers were
around 25, the place remained nearly empty.  While they promised not
to enforce it thereafter, the Holy Lindylanders did not come back, and
the gig ended after a few weeks.

Cheers