[Dixielandjazz] Red Allen on Riverwalk Jazz this week

Donald Mopsick dmopsick at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 05:10:48 PST 2011

Henry "Red" Allen's music is featured this week on Riverwalk Jazz.

The show's guests are:

Clint Baker, plays rhythm guitar and Duke Heitger on trumpet  on "I
Would Do Most Anything For You" and "Who's Sorry Now?", two tunes in
the style of the Rhythmakers. This was a band that Eddie Condon
organized in 1932 to record with female impersonator Billy Banks.
Marty Grosz tells the story of Pee Wee Russell, who was on those great
sessions. In the 1960s, Pee Wee once again met Banks in Japan. They
hadn't seen each other since the Rhythmakers sessions in 1932. Pee Wee
walked up to Banks and said, "So...you got any more gigs?"

Clarinet man Evan Christopher plays "Shimmee Sha Wabble". Evan seems
to be popping up in more and more places these days.

Kenny Davern knew Red Allen well and tells a few funny stories about
him and plays "How Come You Do Me Like You Do?". We miss Kenny, truly
one of a kind. We are not likely to ever again see anyone remotely
measuring up to him and his playing .

Dick Hyman plays KK Boogie. I'm playing a concert tonight in Ft. Myers
FL with Dick and Peter Appleyard. If you happen to be in the area, go
to this link:

http://www.shellpoint.org/concertseries/fine_and_performing_arts.html

Stream the show on demand at http://riverwalkjazz.org.

mopo