[Dixielandjazz] The demise of jazz festivals - perhaps the REAL reason...

Clive Smith scousersmith at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 18:42:53 PST 2011

Dear Chris.

You have hit the nail on the head. In August I attended the Bix Festival in
Davenport for the first time and certainly not the last. I sent the printed
program to a friend of mine in Argentina who will join me for next year's
Fest so cannot quote the number of bands that participated. True enough,
most of the attendees were not in the first bloom of youth but I can say
this - each concert on all four days of the Fest were sell outs. In fact,
for those that were presented in the Blackhawk Hotel you had to be there
early if you wanted to sit. And, here is the punch line - all, I say again,
ALL the bands were OKOM - no C&W, no Zydeco, no R&B, just OKOM. I believe
the organizers of this event are successful because they do not wish to be
all things to all people and attract 10.000 people - why do music Fest
organizers have to subscribe to the All American Thing that bigger is
better..... ist the yankee dollar bill their *only* interest ? I am sure
that during your sojourn in NOLA you saw the deterioration of our own New
Orleans Jazz & Heritage Fest since its inception -  the J & H Foundation
should remove the word "jazz" from the title and call it the merely "The
Heritage Festival" - as it stands, they should be had up for false
advertising.

Regards,

Clive Smith
New Orleans